Despite my efforts to make the Dark Star image easily adaptable for different formats, I never was quite satisfied with the composition in the vertical format. Perhaps I overlooked this because I figured that by breaking it into pieces, I would be able to get the composition right later on. This technique, as I discovered, was no substitute for solid preliminary drawings. It did, however, make composing the horizontal format of the banners and two-up ads much more effective than the ones for the first two shows. Because the first two posters worked only as vertical compositions, I had to take the imagery out entirely for the banners.